The earth is covered by 70% water and the human body is made up of 50-75% water. The human brain is made up of 95% water, the blood 90%, and lungs around 70%. Just like planet Earth, our bodies would not survive without water. Water is a necessity. Hydration is vital for the human body to perform properly. The standard recommendation is to drink at least eight 8 ounces glasses of water a day.
Some of the benefits of keeping the body hydrated are:
1) Water adds bulk to stool and fluid to the colon and prevents constipation.
2) Detoxification is aided by water. Drinking water naturally helps remove toxins that build up in our lymphatic system, kidneys, and intestinal tract.
3) Blood is made up of 80 percent water and bones 50 percent water. To assure that you are creating new blood and bone cells it is important to hydrate.
4) Water helps lubricate your joints and protect against wear and tear
5) The brain is made up of 85 percent water and staying hydrated can help prevent headaches, improve concentration, decrease irritability, and improve fatigue level.
6) The elasticity of the skin improves with the consumption of water. It can help keep you looking younger by moisturizing your skin.
7) Research has shown that mild dehydration has been associated with feelings of depression, anger, and confusion.
In order to insure that you are successful in drinking enough water throughout the day here are ways you may want to consider some of the following.
You may want flavor your water by adding a slice of lemon, lime, cucumber, or orange. It’s a natural way of enhancing the taste which can make you more prone to drink more without adding calories.
Eating more fruits and vegetables which contain a high water content and will help keep you hydrated. Some of the fruits and vegetables are watermelon, strawberries, cantaloupe, grapefruit, lettuce, spinach, zucchini, cabbage, and peppers.
You can develop a reminder on your cell phone or PC to alert you when or how many glasses of water you should have had in a day.
Instead of soda you may want to drink something healthier, try seltzer water with a splash of 100% natural juices.
Try to keep a large bottle or glass by you at all times.
When exercising it is important to hydrate, but the amount varies with the the type of activity and in what climate you are exercising.
Water is necessary in order for our bodies to work efficiently and helps us be more energetic.
A healthier body means a happier life, so go to your nearest water cooler and pour yourself 8 ounce glass of water, remember that the daily amount recommended by the medical profession is 64 ounces of water per day for best results.